BONUS! Purchase TWO bottles of the Les Pallières “Racines” ’18 AND TWO bottles of the Les Pallières “Terrasse du Diable” ’18 for just $40.95 a bottle. MAGNUMS OF EACH AVAILABLE FOR $94.95.
The 2018 release marks the twentieth vintage since the Brunier brothers and Berkeley importer Kermit Lynch purchased the 500-year-old Les Pallières domaine in Gigondas. What a stupendous vintage to mark the occasion! The growing season allowed for only measly yields—by far the lowest in twenty years. However, these low yields were of exceptional health with the organically farmed, old vines instinctively giving their all to bolster the few remaining clusters. The 2018s have a sap-like quality, with verve, concentration and length that only comes from diligently farmed, high quality fruit and meticulous care at every step of winemaking. In twenty years, Les Pallières has never looked so good. Here’s to twenty more!
• Property is located at the extreme north of the appellation, with primarily a northern exposure.
• All vineyards are organically farmed
• Selective, hand harvesting and sorting
• Grapes are partially de-stemmed and pressed gently by pneumatic press
• Fermentation takes place with indigenous yeasts
• Wine ages in cement tanks for 10 months, then in used foudres for 12 months
• Bottled unfiltered and released two years after the harvest
Domaine Les Pallières 2018 Gigondas “Racines”
• Vineyards are situated around the winery and cellars (at 250 meters in altitude)
• 80% Grenache, 15% Syrah – Cinsault (co-planted) 5% Clairette. 65-year-old average vine age
• “Les Racines” showcases the oldest vineyard parcels of the domaine with an emphasis on freshness, garrigue, wild raspberry and plum fruit in the resulting wine
“Marked by accents of blood orange and citrus zest, the raspberry fruit at the core of this wine is concentrated and ripe. Full-bodied and rich, yet silky, fine and elegant, it’s a classic representation of this microclimate and its 75-year-old Grenache vines. 2020-2030” . – Barrel sample (95-97) points, Wine Advocate August 2019