2019 Raul Perez ‘La Del Vivo’, La Vizcaina de Vinos, Bierzo, Galicia, Spain

2019 Raul Perez ‘La Del Vivo’, La Vizcaina de Vinos, Bierzo, Galicia, Spain

$49.95

Description

La Vizcaína is a project from Raúl Pérez that explores the hillside crus around his hometown of Vatuille de Abajo. Four reds and this one white, all from small, single vineyard sites, are produced under the name, all from vines with over fifty years of average age (some much older).

  • Village: Valtuille de Abajo
  • Vineyards: La Poulosa y Las Villegas
  • Year of plantation: 1940 (La Poulosa) and 1925 (Las Villegas)
  • Hectares: 1.5 (aggregate)
  • Altitude: 500-550 meters ASL
  • Soil: Clay (La Poulosa) and Sandy (Las Villegas)
  • Plant density: 4200 vines / hectare (La Poulosa) and 4000 vines / hectare (Las Villegas)
  • Varieties: Godello and Doña Blanca
  • Elaboration: The grapes are divided into two parts. Approximately 80% of the grapes are pressed and decanted, then fermented in a 2,500-liter oak foudre where the wine remains untouched of one year.  The remaining 20% of the grapes ferment with skins in clay amphora where the wine also remains “neglected” for one year.  The two parts are then blended and the wine is bottled without fining or filtration.

Absolutely lovely!  Citrus and a briny minerality take the lead here and are accentuated by a more austere and vibrant acidity when compared to the Ultreia Godello.  Elegant and refined like a fine premier cru Chablis.

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “2019 Raul Perez ‘La Del Vivo’, La Vizcaina de Vinos, Bierzo, Galicia, Spain”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *